ESCWA Technology Center
In an increasingly dominating global economy, the need of harnessing science, technology and innovation (STI) has become quite evident. As globalization has enhanced the dissemination of knowledge and expertise, there is a pressing need to couple STI outcomes with business enterprises and practical applications in the industrial and technical domains.
A formal evaluation process resulted in August 2009 with the selection of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan as the host of the ESCWA Technology Center. The ESCWA resolution 294 (XXVI) and Statue of Center were adopted in May 2010 by the twenty-sixth ministerial session to formalize the establishment of the Center.
This resolution was endorsed by the United Nations Economic and Social Council through the resolution 2010/5, dated 20 July 2010, regarding the establishment of the ESCWA Technology Center and its governing statute.
The Host Country Agreement for the Center was signed between the United Nations and the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan in December 2010. The Center is hosted in the Jordanian Capital Amman, within El Hassan Science City
Board of Governors
Governance of the ETC consists of the authority and responsibility invested in one exogenous body, the Board of Governors. The Board of Governors is not part of the internal organizational structure of the center. But it has the authority and responsibility for determining its policies within the prescribed enabling constitution.
ETC Board of Governors 2018-2021
- Jordan: HRH Princess Sumaya bint El Hassan, President of the Royal Scientific Society
- Iraq: Mr. Hussein Ali Dawood Director General, Sectors's Planning Directorate, Ministry Of Planning
- Kuwait: Dr. Samira A.S. Omar, Director General, Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research
- Lebanon: Dr. Mouin Hamze, Secretary General, National Council for Scientific Research
- Libya: Dr. Abulgasem Mohamed Issa Al Mashai, Senior Researcher, Libyan Authority for Research and Science and Technology, Ministry of Planning
- Mauritania: Mr. Ahmed Salem Etvagha, Director, Social Register General Direction of Development policies and strategies, Minister of Economy and Finance
- Morocco: Mr. Mohammed Hajroun, Director of Electricity, Ministry of Energy, Mines and Sustainable Development
- Oman: Dr. Obaid Al Saeedi, Director of Programs, The Research Council
- Palestine: Mr. Mohammad Bader, Policy and Strategic Planning Department, Ministry of Telecom and Information Technology
- Sudan: Mr. Ahmed Hassan Fahal Ibrahim, President, Scientific Research and Innovation Authority, Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research
- Syrian Arab Republic: Ms. Fadia Souliman, Director General, National Agency for Network Services, Ministry of Communications and Technology
- Tunisia: Mr. Mounir Farikha, Professor of Higher Education, Higher School of Communication of Tunis
- Yemen: Dr. Yahya Al Rewi, President, National Information Centre