ESCWA Technology Center
In an increasingly dominating global economy, the need of harnessing science, technology and innovation (STI) has become quite evident. As globalization has enhanced the dissemination of knowledge and expertise, there is a pressing need to couple STI outcomes with business enterprises and practical applications in the industrial and technical domains.
A formal evaluation process resulted in August 2009 with the selection of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan as the host of the ESCWA Technology Center. The ESCWA resolution 294 (XXVI) and Statue of Center were adopted in May 2010 by the twenty-sixth ministerial session to formalize the establishment of the Center.
This resolution was endorsed by the United Nations Economic and Social Council through the resolution 2010/5, dated 20 July 2010, regarding the establishment of the ESCWA Technology Center and its governing statute.
The Host Country Agreement for the Center was signed between the United Nations and the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan in December 2010. The Center is hosted in the Jordanian Capital Amman, within El Hassan Science City
Board of Governors
Governance of the ETC consists of the authority and responsibility invested in one exogenous body, the Board of Governors. The Board of Governors is not part of the internal organizational structure of the center. But it has the authority and responsibility for determining its policies within the prescribed enabling constitution.
ETC Board of Governors 2015-2018
- Jordan: HRH Princess Sumaya bint El Hassan, President of the Royal Scientific Society
- Bahrain: Dr. Sheikha Rana Isa Al khalifa, Assist. Under-Sec. For Arab & Afro-Asian AFF. & ORG, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Egypt: Dr. Mahmoud Sakr, President, Academy of Scientific Research and Technology
- Iraq: Mr. Hussein Ali Dawood Director General, Sectors's Planning Directrorate , Ministry Of Planning
- Kuwait: Dr. Samira A.S. Omar, Director General, Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research
- Lebanon: Dr. Mouin Hamze, Secretary General, National Council for Scientific Research
- Libya: Dr. Ibrahim Teka, Director of the General Administration of Science and Technology, Libyan Authority for Research and Science and Technology, Ministry of Planning
- Morocco: Dr. Abdelhak Mouradi, Director of Research and Innovation, Ministry of Higher Education, Scientific Research and Executive Training
- Oman: Dr. Obaid Al Saeedi, Director of Programs, The Research Council
- Palestine; Mr. Mohammad Bader, Policy and Strategic Planning Department, Ministry of Telecom and Information Technology
- Qatar: Dr. Hamad Al- Ibrahim, Executive Vice President, Research and Development, Qatar Foundation
- Saudi Arabia: Dr. Muteb A. Muteb, Director for Innovation & Industrial Development Institute (IIDI), Director of Saudi Chinese Centre for Technology Transfer – KACST
- Sudan: Dr. Eisa Shater, Director of Strategic Planning, Ministry of Trade
- Syrian Arab Republic: Dr. Mohammad Ghazi Al-Jalali, Ministry of Communications and Technology
- United Arab Emirates: Mr. Abdullah Sultan Al Shamsi, Assistant Undersecretary for Industry Ministry of Economy
- Yemen: Dr. Yahya Al Rewi , President, National Information Centre