11th Regional Training Workshop on Capacity Development for Climate Change Negotiations for the Arab Countries
The United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (UN-ESCWA), and in partnership with the League of Arab States (LAS), the United Nations Environment, and the Cairo office of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), is organizing the “Eleventh Regional Workshop on Capacity Development for Climate Change Negotiations for the Arab Countries” from 13 to 15 November 2018, in Cairo.
The main objectives of this workshop include:
- Discuss the latest developments on negotiation issues related to the Paris Agreement Work Program (PAWP) on adaptation, mitigation, finance, technology, carbon markets, trade, etc. and the 2018 Facilitative Dialogue, in preparation for the COP 24;
- Discuss the outcomes of the latest Climate Change Conference (Bangkok, 4-9 September 2018) and issues related to Paris agreement “rulebook”;
- Present the status of negotiations and possible scenarios for Katowice package including desired outcome, difficulties, redlines, and linkages;
- Discuss issues related to adaptation as an element of the NDCs and defining adaptation global goal and implementation of article 4.7;
- Discuss the proposed transparency system and balancing transparency of action and support;
- Debate the finance component of the PAWP package (articles 9.5 and 9.7);
- Address issues related to response measures, and operationalization of related policy measures to respond to expected impacts;
- Discuss article 6 of Paris agreement on market and non-market approaches and possible outcome and tradeoffs;
- Discuss the current status of the technology framework implementation and NDCs features, information and accounting;
- Prepare for the Arab side event that will be held at the COP 24 and agree on the agenda and subjects will be presented.