The Sustainable Development Dialogues in the Arab Region – an ASDR 2020 series
The Arab Sustainable Development Report 2020 (ASDR 2020) is the first in the region to review the status of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals in the 22 Arab States. This report charts the regional trajectory for achieving the 2030 Agenda and offers a quantitative and qualitative analysis of each SDG in relation to the global indicator framework adopted by the General Assembly in 2017. It highlights SDG interlinkages, examines the main barriers to achievement, sheds light on those most at risk of being left behind, and identifies the most critical entry points for moving forward. The findings urge structural changes across social, economic, political, cultural and environmental dimensions, and illustrate the possibilities for regional transformation.
Led and produced by ESCWA, ASDR 2020 is the result of a broad collaboration involving experts and UN entities working in the region.
The report and associated media are available at the website: http://asdr.unescwa.org/
The Sustainable Development Dialogues in the Arab Region is an ASDR 2020 webinar series organized by ESCWA, in collaboration with UN partners, to address priority issues of the region.
For details on each webinar, please click on the menus below.
2030 Agenda and SDG Coordination Cluster
- Dialogue #1 - The Arab Region’s response to COVID-19 and the way forward for health and well-being
6 July 2020, 14:30 – 16:00 Beirut time
ESCWA and the WHO EMRO are jointly organizing a high-level discussion in collaboration with UNICEF and UNFPA to address the following questions:
- What is COVID-19 telling us about the region’s progress on SDG 3 and efforts to ensure the health andwell-being of 430+ million people in the Arab world?
- How have health systems in the Arab world responded to COVID-19 and how should they move forward to ensure healthier lives and more resilient health care systems in the region?
- How can structural transformation in the region’s approach to development articulated in the Arab Sustainable Development Report 2020 guide the way out of COVID-19?
Watch the live broadcast in Arabic on ESCWA’s Facebook.
- Dialogue #2 - Changing course? The Arab Region’s SDG progress and COVID-19
9 July 2020, 15:00 – 16:00 Beirut time
On the occasion of the 2020 High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development, ESCWA and UNDP are jointly organizing a high-level side event to discuss:
- Progress on the SDGs in the Arab region and entry points for action identified in the newly launched Arab Sustainable Development report 2020;
- How is COVID-19 shifting the trajectory of the Arab region’s progress on sustainable development
- What opportunities can be seized now to galvanize political will and mobilize resources to lead the transformation necessary for the region?
Watch the live broadcast in English on ESCWA’s Facebook.
Sustainable Development Dialogue #2 Flyer (EN)
► Link to the video recording of the dialogue session #2
⇒ Webpage of the side event at the 2020 HLPF