The library acquires, organizes, preserves and disseminates information resources to its internal and external patrons. It provides direct as well as mediated access to information resources participating in cooperative networking with UN Regional Commissions, UN Agencies and University libraries within the region. It also contributes in the preservation, organization, dissemination and marketing of ESCWA intellectual production.
Library Collection: The Library collection constitutes of printed and electronic materials, mainly English and Arabic, related to socio-economic development of ESCWA member states, it also includes ESCWA publications and documents, in addition to United Nations Publications and releases of other UN Regional Commissions and UN specialized agencies.
- Print resources: The Library printed collection is composed of ESCWA documents, UN publications, Non- UN Regular books, Reference books, Annuals, Statistical abstracts of ESCWA members states, national publications of ESCWA member states, Periodicals.
- Electronic Resources: The Library subscribes to a number of electronic resources that includes: full-text journals, eBooks, Abstract and citation databases, statistical databases. Access to most of the electronic databases is via IP address. The Library also acquires CD-ROMs, DVDs. In addition to the purchased resources, library users may access free electronic resources that are available through Library site. via EDS (EBSCO discovery Search) Search all option.
- Subject coverage: ESCWA library collection is specialized in the area of socio-economic development of ESCWA member states; it includes materials treating topics such as sustainable development, climate change, food security, globalization, trade, women, gender, youth, social problems, social welfare, child labour, social justice, Arab spring, conflicts, and statistics.
- Library catalogue: Online Library catalogue includes the bibliographical records of library collection; it provides the bibliographic data and subject analysis of various information resources available at the library, to facilitate the access and retrieval of Library materials.
The Target of the Library is to serve its internal and external patrons and to fulfill their information needs.
- Ask a Librarian
- Email: send your queries via email, Library will get back to you as soon as possible.
- Email: Libraryfirstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: Call the Library to check about library information resources and reserve an appointment to visit us in person. +961 (0)1978204 OR +961 (0) 1978207
- Library users training: The library provides training for external users on the use of available databases and how to benefit from the information resources.
- Learning and Development Zone: It includes materials in the area of language learning, interpersonal skills, culture, UN culture, guidebooks, and computer science.
United Nations Official Documents System (ODS): ODS provides full text search and access to ESCWA documents in addition to UN documents issued since 1993; Security council and General assembly resolutions since 1946; older documents are added regularly.
Library opening hours: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, 10:00 am – 14:30 pm
To visit the library in person, external users have to reserve an appointment ahead of time, to facilitate their access to UN House.