Cutting edge technology and the knowledge-based economy are at the heart of the ESCWA vision for a new development paradigm and prosperity in the Arab region. The Technology for Development Division (TDD) of ESCWA assists member countries in building an inclusive, people-centred and development-oriented information society and knowledge economy in accordance with regional priorities and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The Division strives to help member countries to bridge the digital divide, benefit from information and communications technologies (ICT), enhance science, technology and innovation programmes, and promote access to and the development and transfer of productive technologies and know-how.
The role of ESCWA is to assist member countries to:
- Promote the use of science, technology and innovation for development;
- Adopt new technology for e-services, focusing on e-government and e-participation;
- Develop a common vision of the information society and the knowledge economy and build capacity in member countries to measure progress in that regard;
- Formulate and implement ICT development policies and strategies;
- Monitor implementation of the conclusions of the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS), and the global and Arab region Internet Governance Processes;
- Develop digital Arabic content, and spread e-services and applications;
- Build confidence in technology infrastructure, in particular with regard to privacy and cyber security;
- Explore new technological frontiers and adapt them to development in the Arab world.
Links to technology-related United Nations processes and mechanisms: