Technology for Development
Cutting edge technology and the knowledge-based economy are at the heart of the ESCWA vision for a new development paradigm and prosperity in the Arab region. The Technology for Development Division (TDD) of ESCWA assists member countries in building an inclusive, people-centred and development-oriented information society and knowledge economy in accordance with regional priorities and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The Division strives to help member countries to bridge the digital divide, benefit from information and communications technologies (ICT), enhance science, technology and innovation programmes, and promote access to and the development and transfer of productive technologies and know-how.
The role of ESCWA is to assist member countries to:
- Promote the use of science, technology and innovation for development;
- Adopt new technology for e-services, focusing on e-government and e-participation;
- Develop a common vision of the information society and the knowledge economy and build capacity in member countries to measure progress in that regard;
- Formulate and implement ICT development policies and strategies;
- Monitor implementation of the conclusions of the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS), and the global and Arab region Internet Governance Processes;
- Develop digital Arabic content, and spread e-services and applications;
- Build confidence in technology infrastructure, in particular with regard to privacy and cyber security;
- Explore new technological frontiers and adapt them to development in the Arab world.
Links to technology-related United Nations processes and mechanisms:
- General Assembly of the United Nations
- Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
- Commission on Science and Technology for Development (CSTD)
- World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS)
- Internet Governance Forum (IGF)
- Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation
- United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs
- Sustainable Development Knowledge Platform
- Technology facilitation mechanism - interagency task team on STI for SDGs
In the contemporary digital economy, affordable and efficient access for all to information and modern services is fundamental. No single entity has control over information or the means of its distribution. Security concerns must be balanced by openness and freedom of choice
مجتمع المعلومات والاقتصاد الرقمي
تتيح التكنولوجيات الجديدة، على غرار الحوسبة السحابية، وإنترنت الأشياء، والنظم الذكية للدفع، فرصةً أمام البلدان العربية لسد الفجوة المعرفية، وتمكّنهم من زيادة الاندماج في الاقتصاد العالمي. وتعمل الإسكوا مع مؤسسات في البلدان العربية على توحيد التشريعات وإزالة الحواجز في الفضاء السيبراني من أجل السماح بتبادل المعلومات والانتفاع بها.
Innovation for Development
Acknowledging the need to develop the knowledge-based economy and information society in the Arab region, ESCWA is keen to support member countries in enhancing the eco-system of the knowledge-based economy and information society and promoting innovation and the use of modern technologies.
Mapping the Technology Profiles of the Arab Region
Profiling what we care about is essential to assess progress, acknowledge gaps, and develop further understandings. In essence, this is why the applications of science and technology and the role they play are crucial for the socio-economic development of the region and its integration.
ESCWA is committed to creating a region-wide networking and partnerships platform with public and private-sector stakeholders to foster science, technology and innovation (STI) in the region. Tools being mobilized include the promotion of technology transfer, and science diplomacy and technology matchmaking.