What: The United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), and the Competition Protection Agency in Kuwait (CPA) are organizing a national workshop entitled "Promoting competition: Challenges and Ambition”, in light of the significant benefits of competition to the national economy, as it contributes to building effective markets, driving innovation and productivity, and achieving sustainable development.
When: Tuesday 13 and Wednesday 14 December 2022 at 9:00 a.m. Kuwait time.
Where: Mövenpick Hotel and Resort Al Bida’a, Kuwait.
Who: The launch event will feature:
- Mr. Mazen Saad Ali Al Nahed, Minister of Commerce and Industry in Kuwait;
- Ms. Rola Dashti, UN Under-Secretary-General and Executive Secretary of ESCWA;
- Mr. Abdullah Saleh Al-Owaisi, Executive Director of CPA in Kuwait.
Participants include representatives of relevant ministries, business community, private sector, digital companies, micro, small and medium enterprises, as well as academics and representatives of competition organizations in Kuwait.
Why The workshop provides a platform for dialogue, coordination, and cooperation on competition at the national and regional levels. It brings together regional and international competition authorities and international experts, and aims to increase awareness of the CPA key role in promoting competition and addressing pressing economic challenges, to enhance knowledge of the provisions of the Competition Act and the benefits of its application, as well as highlight the importance of other government agencies' roles in protecting and enforcing competition law, and measures and best practices at the regional level.
For more details, click here.
One of five United Nations regional commissions, ESCWA supports inclusive and sustainable economic and social development in Arab States, and works on enhancing regional integration.
- Ms. Maryam Sleiman, Public Information Assistant, +961-81-769-888; email: email@example.com
- Ms. Rania Harb, Public Information Assistant, +961-70-008-879; email: firstname.lastname@example.org