What: A regional conference on “Transition towards Independent Living within the Community for Persons with Disabilities organized by the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), in cooperation with the Ministry for Inclusion, Voluntary Organizations and Consumer Rights (MIVCR) of the Republic of Malta and the UN Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
When: Tuesday 14 and Wednesday 15 February 2023 at 9:00 a.m. (Beirut time).
Where: UN House, Beirut and online via Zoom. Register here to attend the event.
Who: The opening session will feature statements by:
- Ms. Rola Dashti, UN Under-Secretary-General and ESCWA Executive Secretary;
- Ms. Julia Farrugia Portelli, Minister for Inclusion, Voluntary Organizations and Consumer Rights, Malta;
- Mr. Gerard Quinn, UN Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities;
- Ms. Saba Almubaslat, Director, Middle East and North Africa Office, Ford Foundation.
The Conference will also bring together policymakers, academics, researchers and senior representatives of higher councils for the rights of persons with disabilities in Arab countries, who will exchange knowledge and promote academic and policy research to achieve greater social inclusion for persons with disabilities.
Why: The Conference aims to explore policies and programmes that support Arab countries in ensuring the right of independent living for persons with disabilities.
It is the first event of the “Arab-EU Research Network on Disability”, and will focus on the theme of independent living and being included in the community - a right enshrined in article 19 of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD), which recognizes the equal right of all persons with disabilities to live in the community, with choices equal to others.
One of five United Nations regional commissions, ESCWA supports inclusive and sustainable economic and social development in Arab States, and works on enhancing regional integration.
- Ms. Maryam Sleiman, Public Information Assistant, +961-81-769-888; email: email@example.com
- Ms. Rania Harb, Public Information Assistant, +961-70-008-879; email: firstname.lastname@example.org