What: The United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), the League of Arab States (LAS), and United Nations agencies working in the Arab region are holding the Arab Forum for Sustainable Development 2023 (AFSD-2023), chaired by Yemen. This annual event is the primary regional mechanism for the follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The messages emanating from the Forum will be submitted to the High-Level Political Forum (HLPF).
When: From Tuesday 14 to Thursday 16 March 2023, at 9 a.m. Beirut time.
Where: UN House in Beirut and online.
The opening session of the Forum will feature:
- Mr. Ahmed Aboul Gheit, Secretary-General of the League of Arab States;
- Mr. Waed Abdullah Badhib, Minister of Planning and International Cooperation, Republic of Yemen (AFSD-2023 Chair);
- Ms. Amina J. Mohammed, Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations and Chair of the United Nations Sustainable Development Group;
- Ms. Rola Dashti, UN Under-Secretary-General and Executive Secretary of ESCWA.
Participants will also include high-level representatives at the ministerial level and delegates from ministries; bodies concerned with planning and following up on the 2030 Agenda; parliamentarians; regional and international institutions; civil society organizations; the private sector; academic and research centres; and the media (amongst others).
The full agenda can be accessed here.
Why: The Forum, held under the theme “Solutions and Action”, will review five Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), namely SDG 6 (on clear water and sanitation), SDG 7 (on affordable and clean energy), SDG 9 (on industry, innovation and infrastructure), SDG 11 (on sustainable cities and communities), and SDG 17 (on partnerships for the Goals).
- A high-level dialogue will explore opportunities to better engage the private sector in delivering the SDGs (14 March).
- The announcement of the 2nd Digital Arabic Content Award winners, in both institutions and young entrepreneurs’ categories (15 March).
- Spotlight segments will feature impactful and innovative initiatives that support sustainable development in the region.
- Twelve special sessions organized with various partners will address several relevant topics.
Additional details are found here.
Media colleagues who wish to physically attend the Forum should:
- Confirm with the ESCWA Communication Unit by Friday 10 March at the latest;
- Send a photo passport to the emails below to claim their badges.
One of five United Nations regional commissions, ESCWA supports inclusive and sustainable economic and social development in Arab States, and works on enhancing regional integration.
- Ms. Maryam Sleiman, Public Information Assistant, +961-81-769-888; email: firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Ms. Rania Harb, Public Information Assistant, +961-70-008-879; email: email@example.com.