When: Thursday 5 March 2020, at 10.30 a.m.
Where: ESCWA Headquarters, Riad el-Solh Square, Beirut, Lebanon
Who: Opening statements:
- Ms. Rola Dashti, Executive Secretary of ESCWA;
- Ms. Rachel Dore-Weeks, Head of UN Women Lebanon;
- Ms. Allison Zelkowitz, County Director, Save the Children.
The opening will also feature a statement by children representatives.
Why: Every year, the United Nations mark International Women’s Day on 8 March. This year’s theme, “I am Generation Equality: Realizing Women’s Rights”, is aligned with the 25th anniversary of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, the most progressive road map for the empowerment of women and girls everywhere.
The event in Beirut will include a performance by children inspired by their vision and expectations. It will also feature an exhibition of drawings on gender equality by children from several Arab countries, in addition to a round table where children and youth will discuss key priorities identified in the regional review of the implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, 25 years later.
The ESCWA Communication and Information Unit (ECIU) kindly asks media representatives wishing to cover this event to confirm their attendance to:
- Ms. Maryam Sleiman Kheir, Public Information Assistant, +961 81 769 888
- Ms. Rania Harb, Public Information Assistant, +96170008879.