What: As part of a Regional Seminar Series on the Contribution of Development to the Enjoyment of All Human Rights, the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) and the UN Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA) are organizing a seminar on the contribution of development to the enjoyment of all human rights in Arabic-speaking countries.
When: Tuesday 8 and Wednesday 9 November 2022
Opening session on Tuesday 8 November at 9:00 a.m. Beirut time.
Where: UN House in Beirut. Prior registration is required for both in-person and online participation. Only registered participants will receive a Zoom link.
Who: Opening remarks will be delivered by:
- Mr. Saadeh Al Shami, Lebanese Deputy Prime Minister;
- Mr. Federico Villegas, President of Human Rights Council (video message);
- Ms. Nada Al-Nashif, UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights (video message);
- Mr. Tarik Alami, Director of the Governance and Conflict Prevention Cluster at ESCWA
Participants will include representatives from UN agencies, funds and programmes, international and regional organizations, national human rights institutions and civil society organizations.
Why: Participants will discuss the role of international cooperation on sustainable development in promoting and protecting human rights, namely the respective contributions of ending poverty and creating opportunities for youth to the enjoyment of all human rights.
They will also identify and discuss good practices and look at the challenges and gaps in this regard.
One of five United Nations regional commissions, ESCWA supports inclusive and sustainable economic and social development in Arab States, and works on enhancing regional integration.
For more information:
- Ms. Maryam Sleiman, Public Information Assistant, +961-81-769-888; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Rania Harb, Public Information Assistant, +961-70-008-879; email: email@example.com