What: On the 30th anniversary of the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD30), the UN Economic and Social Commission for Western (ESCWA), the UN Population Fund (UNFPA), the League of Arab States (LAS) and the International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF) are organizing the Sixth Regional Review of the ICPD in the Arab Region.
When: From Wednesday 13 to Thursday 14 September 2023 at 9:00 a.m. Beirut time.
Opening remarks will be delivered by:
- Ms. Rola Dashti, Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations and ESCWA Executive Secretary;
- Dr. Natalia Kanem, UNFPA Executive Director;
- Ambassador Dr. Haifa Abou Ghazaleh, LAS Assistant Secretary-General, Head of the Social Affairs Sector;
- Ms. Fadoua Bakhadda, IPPF- Arab World Region Regional Director; and
- Mr. Hector Hajjar, Minister of Social Affairs, Lebanon
Participants include representatives of Arab states, UN agencies, funds and programmes, international and regional organisations, national human rights institutions, civil society organisations and other stakeholders.
Media representatives are requested to give this event the highlight it deserves and to confirm their attendance by contacting:
- Ms. Maryam Sleiman, ESCWA Communication Unit, +961-81-769-888; email: email@example.com
- Ms. Rania Harb, ESCWA Communication Unit, +961-70-008-879; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Why: The Conference will share the outcomes of the review on progress made in implementing the Programme of Action (PoA) of the ICPD by taking stock of challenges, achievements and offer recommendations on the way forward.