- Arab Preparatory Meeting on Energy-related Issues for the 2018 Arab Forum on Sustainable Development and the High Level Political Forum (27-28 March 2018);
- Regional Preparatory Meeting on Water Issues for the 2018 Arab Forum on Sustainable Development and High Level Political Forum (28-29 March 2018).
- Arab Preparatory Meeting on Energy-related Issues: Tuesday 27 March, starting at 9:00 am, ESCWA headquarters, UN House, Riad el-Solh Square, Beirut.
- Regional Preparatory Meeting on Water Issues: Wednesday 28, March starting at 9:00 am, ESCWA headquarters, UN House, Riad el-Solh Square, Beirut.
1. Arab Preparatory Meeting on Energy-related Issues: The objective is to discuss major issues related to energy and progress on Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7) including its interlinkages with other development issues. The Arab Preparatory Meeting will:
- Explore the progress of the Arab countries’ sustainable energy efforts in line with the 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development in terms of Energy Access, Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency;
- Discuss the nexus between energy and other areas such as water, food, climate, economic growth, and how to link crosscutting concerns to policy design;
- Assess the gaps between policies in place today and the targets set for a sustainable energy future;
- Debate on how to stimulate and mobilize national financial resources and attract international financing and access to technology;
- Identify key priorities for policy makers to increase alignment of national plans with the 2030 Agenda.
Special features of the meetings:
- Arab Preparatory Meeting on Energy-related Issues: ESCWA will launch the “Arab Region Progress in Sustainable Energy: Global Tracking Framework Regional Report”
- Regional Preparatory Meeting on Water Issues: Eight Arab States will present their voluntary national review of progress in implementing the 2030 Agenda during the 2018 session, namely: Lebanon, Bahrain, Egypt, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, State of Palestine, Sudan and United Arab Emirates.
High-level government officials, UN agencies, international organizations and other multi-stakeholders from academia, scientific research institutions, NGOs, financial institutions and private sector groups working on sustainable energy at the technical and policymaking levels.
The ESCWA Communication and Information Unit (ECIU) kindly requests media representatives to give the meetings great attention and confirm their attendance on the following numbers in order to facilitate their access: +96170008879 | +96170827372 | +96170079021
For more information:
Nabil Abu-Dargham +961-70-99 31 44; email@example.com
Ms Rania Harb: +961-70-008879 firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms Mirna Mahfouz: +961-70-827372 email@example.com
Mr Haidar Fahs: +961-70-079021 firstname.lastname@example.org