The Government of the Arab Republic of Egypt is hosting the 27th Conference of the Parties of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) from 6 to 18 November 2022 in Sharm El-Sheikh. ESCWA is organizing and contributing to events being organized during the conference and in pavilions with partners during the thematic days identified by the Egyptian COP27 Presidency. The thematic days schedule is available here. More information on the thematic days programme of the Egyptian COP27 Presidency is available through this link. Information on all COP 27 pavilions is available here.
Listed below are the events in which ESCWA will participate. All times are Egypt time (GMT+2).
The opening plenary, side events and press conferences will be available live and on-demand via the UNFCCC website.
Climate Implementation Summit (8 November)
- Addressing High-Level COP-27 Event: Addressing Climate Change through the IsDB Food Security Response Program – Organized by IsDB – 11:00-12:00 – IsDB Pavilion
- High-level Dialogue on Mainstreaming Climate Finance for Effective Climate Action and Sustainable Development - Organized by ESCWA and IsDB - 17:00-18:00 - IsDB Pavilion
- A Global Sustainability Framework for Critical Raw Materials Required for Low-Carbon Transitions- Organized by UNECE, ECA, ESCAP, ECLAC, ESCWA, UNEP and UNDP - 18:30-20:00 - Akhenaten Room.
Finance Day (9 November)
- TD2: Climate Resilience and Low Carbon Approaches, Systems and Technologies - Organized by ESCWA, Ministry of Water Resources & Irrigation (Egypt), and UNESCO - 10:00-19:00 - Water Pavilion - Agenda and Link to attend virtually.
- High-Level Event: Accelerating circularity as a holistic response to the triple planetary crisis: The Economic Case - Organized by ESCWA, Partnership for Action on Green Economy, Green Growth Knowledge Partnership, UNEP, ILO, UNDP, UNIDO, UNITAR, UNECE, UN-OHRLLS, The Sustainability Pledge - 11:30-13:00 - Amoon Room - Livestream available here.
- Sustainable Water and Energy Solutions supporting Climate Change and Biodiversity Objectives through Innovation and Clean Technologies - Organized by DESA - 14:00-15:30 - SDG Pavilion - Livestream available here.
- Climate Projects: From Concepts to Reality - Organized by Climate Champions - 14:30-15:30 - Ibis Room, Action Space, Blue Zone
- Financing Adaptation - Organized by the Ministry of Finance of Egypt - 17:00-18:00 - IsDB Pavilion.
Science Day (10 November)
The Road to Net Zero: Regional and Global Prospects - Organized by KAPSARC - 9:00-10:30 - Parrotel, Sharm El-Sheikh
Global and Regional Environmental Conventions, Assessments and Outlooks: Harmonizing our Efforts - Organized by the Egyptian Ministry of Environment and CEDARE - 12:00 - 12:50 - Room P20 – Blue Zone
Assessments of Scientific Knowledge on Climate Change to Support Evidence-Based Decision-Making - Organized by MEDECC - 14:45-15:45 - Med Pavilion/Blue Zone.
Climate Change and the Science-Policy Interface - Organized by the United Arab Emirates and RC - 16:00-16:45 - United Arab Emirates Pavilion.
Socio Economic Impact of Energy Transition: Egypt and South East Asia - Organized by IRENA - 15:00-17:00 - IRENA Pavilion.
Doing the Right Thing: Key Entry Points for Human Rights-Based Climate Action at COP27 - Organized by OHCHR - 18:30-20:00 - Tutankhamoon Room.
Decarbonization Day (11 November)
- Evidence-Based Integrated SDGs Solutions for Developing Economies in Africa and MENA Region - Organized by UNESCO/Cairo Office - 8:30-9:45 - UNESCO/Cairo Office.
- Enabling the Circular Carbon Economy: Upscaling Regional Cooperation for Sustainable Development - Organized by ESCWA and UNECE - 10:15-11:15 - SDG Pavilion.
Adaptation & Agriculture Day (12 November)
- High-Level Green Hydrogen Panel Discussion for the MENA Region - Organized by ESCWA and RCREEE - 9:00-10:30 - RCREEE Pavilion.
- Accelerating SDG progress in the Arab Region - Organized by the United Arab Emirates - 10:00-10:45 - United Arab Emirates Pavilion.
- Decent Life Initiative for a Climate Resilient Africa (at margins of agriculture and adaptation day) - Organized by the Egyptian Ministry of Planning and Economic Development - 11:00-13:00 - Egypt Pavilion.
- Accelerating SDG7 action: Implementing the UN-Energy Plan of Action Towards 2025 in support of the Global Roadmap for Accelerated SDG7 Action and Net-Zero Emissions - Organized by UN Energy - 13:15 - 14:45 - Khufu Hall (Room 4).
- On the Road to the UN-Water Summit on Groundwater: Arab Region Perspective - Organized by UNESCO, ESCWA, LAS and FAO - 14:30-15:30 - UNESCO Pavilion - Green Zone. Recording available here.
- Achieving Climate Change adaptation and mitigation through Water Resilience - Organized by UNECE - 15:00-16:30 - Hatshepsut hall
- The Agricultural Sector and Synergy among the three Rio Conventions - Organized by ESCWA, AOAD, LAS - 16:45-18:15 - Egypt Pavilion.
Water Day and Gender Day (14 November)
- How the Middle East Green Initiative and Regional Collaboration can Serve the Region in Tackling Climate Challenges - Organized by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia - 13:10-14:10 - Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Pavilion.
- Plenary Session: Climate Adaptation for extreme weather events and prolonged droughts - Organized by Grantham Institute for Climate Change and Environment - 14:15 - 15:30 - COP Presidency Thematic Room - Horus, Area B
- Water Desalination with Renewable Energies - Challenges and Opportunities in Arab Countries - Organized by RCREEE and LAS - 15:00-16:30 - RCREEE Pavilion
Energy Day and Action for Climate Empowerment & Civil Society Day (15 November)
Seminar on Global Energy Interconnection Pathway to Carbon Neutrality: The Road to Global Carbon Neutrality - Organized by GEIDCO and UNFCCC - 10:00-11:00 - UNFCCC Pavilion - Livestream available here.
Empowering Vulnerable Population and Enterprises to accelerate the adoption and lead the implementation of the Climate Agenda in Developing Countries - Organized by ESCWA and IsDB - 12:30-13:30 - IsDB Pavilion - Livestream available here.
MEFED – Enhancing MENA Europe Regional Dialogue - Organized by GIZ - 15:00-16:30 - IRENA Pavilion.
Solutions Day (17 November)
- Greening National Investment Plans in Africa and Developing Countries Initiative - Organized by Egyptian Ministry of Planning and Economic Development - 9:30-10:30 - Blue Zone.