This high-level meeting is part of the Inter-Regional Cooperation on the Implementation of the New Urban Agenda (NUA) project. It aims to share successful best practices and forward-looking solutions for bolstering the role of urban professionals, local authorities and national State bodies in localizing and implementing the NUA, which were developed by the five Regional Economic Commissions in collaboration with local authorities and national State bodies. These best practices and solutions offer new approaches, which:
- Contribute to positioning the NUA strategically as a road map for accelerating sustainable development, climate action and societal resilience, and building peaceful, inclusive and participatory societies
- Spotlight the importance of cities and transformative actions identified in the NUA in ensuring a more just, sustainable recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic
- Foster dialogue on the urban dimension of nationally determined contributions and climate resilience and adaption.
- Encourage the launch of multi-stakeholder partnerships to promote affordable housing and end homelessness as part of investments in jobs and social protection
- Highlight institutional mechanisms for engaging mayors in intergovernmental and national planning and implementation processes
- Contribute to building momentum for partnerships on scaled-up and predictable financing for sustainable infrastructure and urban basic services, strengthening the mobilization of endogenous resources.