What: To explore solutions to recover better from the COVID-19 pandemic and accelerate efforts to put the Arab region back on track to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGsthe United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), in partnership with the League of Arab States (LAS), is organizing the Arab Forum for Sustainable Development 2022 (AFSD-2022).
The Forum is held under the theme “Recovery and Resilience” and will review five SDGs namely, 4 (Quality Education), 5 (Gender Equality), 14 (Life Below Water), 15 (Life on Land) and 17 (Partnerships).
When: From Tuesday 15 to Thursday 17 March 2021
Where: UN House in Beirut and online.
Media colleagues, who wish to physically attend the Forum, could liaise with ESCWA Communication Unit to do the necessary arrangements. (Details below)
Opening session on 15 March, at 10:00 a.m.
- Mr. Ahmed Aboul Gheit, Secretary-General of the League of Arab States;
- Mr. Nasser Shraideh, Minister of Planning and International Cooperation, Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan;
- Ms. Amina J. Mohammed, Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations and Chair of the United Nations Sustainable Development Group;
- Ms. Rola Dashti, UN Under-Secretary-General and Executive Secretary of ESCWA.
The full programme of work can be accessed here.
Participants will also include high-level representatives at the ministerial level, as well as delegates from ministries; bodies concerned with planning and following up on the 2030 Agenda; parliamentarians; regional and international institutions; civil society organizations; the private sector; academic and research centres, and the media, among others.
Why: The annual AFSD is the primary regional mechanism for the follow-up and in-depth review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in the Arab region. Its findings and recommendations, conveying key messages from the Arab region and its countries, are submitted to the High-Level Political Forum (HLPF).
AFSD-2022, chaired this year by the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, features a variety of plenaries, thematic discussions and special sessions revolving around three components as follows:
- Accelerating action on the SDGs under review in the context of the COVID-19 recovery;
- Thematic, specialized and priority areas for recovery resilience; and
- National and local follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda.
You can find additional details here.
One of five United Nations regional commissions, ESCWA supports inclusive and sustainable economic and social development in Arab States, and works on enhancing regional integration.
For more information
- Ms. Maryam Sleiman, Public Information Assistant, +961-81-769888; email@example.com
- Ms. Rania Harb, Public Information Assistant, +961-70-008879; firstname.lastname@example.org