ESCWA hosts Arab Forum
for Sustainable Development
Beirut, UN-House, 24-26 April 2018
What: The Arab Forum for Sustainable Development (#AFSD2018), a high-level regional forum focusing on “Natural Resources, Future Generations and the Common Good”
When: Tuesday 24 April at 09:00am through Thursday 26 April at 04:30pm
Where: ESCWA headquarters, Riad el-Solh Square, Beirut
Why: This regional platform provides a unique opportunity for review and appraisal of where Arab countries stand in terms of implementing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, what practical approaches have been developed, and to what extent development planning and policies are in line with the 2030 Agenda, its key principles and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Its outcome gives voice to the region at the High-level Political Forum (HLPF) on Sustainable Development held next July in New York, focusing on “Transformation towards Sustainable and Resilient Societies.”
- The Forum will dedicate a segment to national experiences with a focus on voluntary national reviews, and sharing experiences and lessons learned on countries’ response to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Panel discussions will address the need for transformative, structural change in development planning and policymaking across all pillars of sustainable development. Such change would ensure that natural resources are managed and used sustainably for the common good, and that benefits are distributed equitably today and maintained for future generations. What is good for the planet is good for the people.
Special sessions include:
- Arab Civil Society Platform
- Water and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): an Arab perspective
- Mainstreaming Gender’s Equality and Women’s Empowerment
- Youth and the transformation towards sustainable Arab societies
- Environment and Natural Resources
- “Leaving No One Behind”
- Sustainable Energy
Participants: High-level representatives of ministries, bodies concerned with planning and following up on the of the 2030 Agenda, parliamentarians, a wide range of regional and international institutions, civil society organizations, the private sector, academic and research centres, and the media, among others.
For more information,
- The event page on the ESCWA website: https://www.unescwa.org/events/arab-forum-sustainable-development-2018
- Ahead of the AFSD, three preparatory meetings were held on energy, water, and environment and natural resources.
The ESCWA Communication and Information Unit (ECIU) kindly requests media representatives wishing to cover this meeting to confirm their attendance on the following numbers in order to facilitate their access: +96170008879 | +96170827372 | +96170079021
For more information:
Nabil Abu-Dargham +961-70-99 31 44; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms Rania Harb: +96170008879 email@example.com
Ms Mirna Mahfouz: +961-70-827372 firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr Haidar Fahs: +961-70-079021 email@example.com