Beirut, Lebanon, 14 December 2018
What: The United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA) is marking the Arabic Language Day with different activities including reading poetry and prose, Q&As, and a dictation in Arabic.
When: Friday 14 December at 10:00am
Where: ESCWA Headquarters, Riad el-Solh Square, Beirut, Lebanon
Why: The UN marks the Arabic Language Day on 18 December of every year, marking the day when the General Assembly adopted Arabic Language as one of its official languages in 1973. On this day, the organization highlights the rich contribution of Arabic to science, philosophy, literature, art, and human culture.
- Arabic dictation with media figure Bassam Barrak of a text inspired by Lebanese thinker Ghassan Tueni’s writings
- Readings of poetry and prose by media personalities Lina Doughan and Bassam Barrak
- Different presentations on Arabic language and the Conferences Services Section (CSS) at ESCWA
- Announcement of a new Arabic language training programme at the United Nations
- Media personalities Ms. Lina Doughan and Mr. Bassam Barrak, the Acting Executive Secretary of ESCWA, Mr. Mounir Tabet, and a score of representatives of academia, media, diplomatic corps and others interested in Arabic language.
For registration: https://reg.unog.ch/event/27500/
For more information:
Mr. Nabil Abu-Dargham, Head of the ESCWA Communication and Information Unit:
+961-70-99 31 44; email@example.com
Ms. Rania Harb: +961-70-00 88 79; firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Mirna Mahfouz: +961-70-87 23 72; email@example.com