‘Inequality, autonomy and change in the Arab region’
Beirut, UN-House, 10 May 2018
What: Launch of the 2nd Social Development Report on “Inequality, autonomy and change in the Arab region”
When: Thursday 10 May 2018 at 09:30am
Where: ESCWA headquarters, Riad el-Solh Square, Beirut
Why: The report examines how inequality and limited personal autonomy are likely to affect the prevailing ‘political settlement’ in the Arab region. It does so by first providing an overview of the political economy of the region. It then examines equality of opportunity at the macrolevel, in terms of access to income, education and employment.
- The report adopts a new multidisciplinary framework that combines economic elements with social and political economy ones;
- It uses recent data sets that are rarely used in reports on the region;
- It provides a new analysis that covers inequality of wages by educational groups; reveals links and gaps between negative and positive autonomy; and examines findings across gender, age and education groups;
- It presents new findings in relation to the nature of education and its effects on perceived autonomy and emancipation, to the gender and age divides, and to the perceptions of gender equality, social tolerance and democracy in the region in comparison with the rest of the world.
- Ms. Khawla Mattar, Deputy Executive Secretary of ESCWA;
- Mr. Oussama Safa, Chief of ESCWA Social Justice section;
- Ms. Rania Al Jazairi, First Social Affairs Officer at ESCWA;
- Mr. Adib Nehmeh, expert on development issues.
Discussions will be moderated by Mr. Khalid Abu-Ismail, Chief, ESCWA Economic Development and Poverty section.
The ESCWA Communication and Information Unit (ECIU) kindly requests media representatives wishing to cover this meeting to confirm their attendance on the following numbers in order to facilitate their access: +96170008879 | +96170827372 | +96170079021
For more information:
Nabil Abu-Dargham +961-70-99 31 44; email: email@example.com
Ms Rania Harb: +96170008879 firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms Mirna Mahfouz: +961-70-827372 email@example.com
Mr Haidar Fahs: +961-70-079021 firstname.lastname@example.org