This workshop is organized within the activities of the project on “Reducing Road Deaths and Injuries in Jordan through Increasing the Use of Safety Belts and Child Restraints”, which is implemented by ESCWA in partnership with the Ministries of Interior and Transport in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, and a number of other public stakeholders and private, and funded by the United Nations Road Safety Fund.
The workshop will address the current situation of traffic safety in Jordan, in particular, the existing regulatory and legislative framework for seat belts and child restraints. In addition the experiences of some leading countries in this field will be presented. The workshop will also involve the various road safety stakeholders to discuss the results related to updating the regulatory and legislative framework for seat belts and child restraints, and exchanging experiences between all parties to create a common ground for cooperation in providing advice to the government on the proposal to update the aforementioned framework.
The main objectives of the workshop are to:
- Demonstrate the commitment of the stakeholders to support the project's activities;
- Strengthen participation and cooperation in the implementation of project activities by the concerned authorities, according to their respective competences;
- Prepare a joint action plan with the participation of the concerned authorities in order to reduce the number of deaths and injuries resulting from traffic collisions by increasing the use of seat belts and child restraints.
The expected outputs from the workshop are:
• A better understanding of project activities and identification of stakeholders' interests and tasks.
• Build consensus among the concerned authorities on the necessary measures to fill the gaps of the current regulatory framework.
• Obtain the support of the concerned authorities in order to implement the agreed changes.