Final Regional Policy Workshop on the Water-Energy Nexus
The Final Regional Policy Workshop on the Water-Energy Nexus is implemented under the United Nations Development Account project “Developing the Capacity of ESCWA Member Countries to Address the Water and Energy Nexus for Achieving Sustainable Development Goals.” This is also part of ESCWA’s strategic work program for enhancing the capacity of Member Countries to mainstream the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals especially those related to energy and water in their national development plans.
The main objective of the workshop is to strengthen the capacity of ESCWA member States to achieve an integrated and sustainable management of water and energy resources to advance the achievement of sustainable development in the Arab Region. To do so, the workshop aims to achieve the following objectives:
- Take stock of the progress made on raising awareness and advancing work on the water-energy nexus within the context of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Review the key messages and lessons learned from the Water-Energy Nexus Operational Toolkit.
- Discuss the three pilot initiative implemented under the project and opportunities for implementing similar initiatives in the future;
- Discuss institutional mechanisms and integrated approaches for pursuing policy coherence in light of ensuring water and energy security at the regional and national levels;
- Exchange information on regional initiatives, projects and partnerships supporting Arab States on the water-energy nexus, as well as related areas such as food security and climate change
All workshop participants will be invited to identify priorities and needs for further advancing the nexus approach at the regional, national and sub-national levels.