ESCWA is launching the Regional Dialogues on Groundwater to address priority issues raised by experts and representatives from Arab States during the Arab Regional Preparatory Meeting for the Mid-Term Comprehensive Review of the International Decade of Action for Water.
The Dialogues will cover the following priority issues:
- Strengthening groundwater governance, especially for nonrenewable groundwater resources
- Improving knowledge and information on groundwater systems by enhancing data access and sharing and developing monitoring systems
- Developing further transboundary aquifer cooperation for the sustainable management of groundwater and water security in the Arab region
- Building capacity and conducting studies on managed aquifer recharge so it can be included in action plans
- Undertaking studies on the impact of climate change on groundwater to inform policymakers
- Monitoring solar powered groundwater pumping to limit over-abstraction.