Launch of the Arab Thought Foundation’s 10th Report on Cultural Development: Innovation or Extinction?
Beirut, UN-House, 27 June 2018
What: Launching of the Tenth Arab Report on Cultural Development, an annual report launched by the Arab Thought Foundation since 2008 on the status of cultural development in the Arab countries
When: Wednesday 27 June 2018 at 16h00
Where: ESCWA headquarters, Riad el-Solh Square, Beirut
Why: The report seeks to outline and analyse the most significant aspects of cultural development in Arab countries, and to provide data and figures on cultural development in the Arab world on a yearly basis.
The 10th report is issued under the theme “Innovation or Extinction? Scientific Research in the Arab World: Realities, Challenges and Perspectives.” It focuses on the strong link between the realities of scientific research and technology development and innovation in Arab States, as well as the situation of economic and social development. It also highlights how these activities contribute to inclusive and sustainable development.
Participants will discuss the performance of economies in Arab countries; culture and predominant scientific trends; innovation and technological development; modalities for building knowledge-based economies; and the necessities of attaining the goals of sustainable development within the Arab realm.
- Mr. Mohamed Ali Alhakim, ESCWA Executive Secretary
- Professor Henri Awit, Arab Thought Foundation Director General
- Mr. Mouïn Hamzé, Chief Coordinator of the report, Secretary General of the National Council for Scientific Research - Lebanon
- Mr. Lahcen Daoudi, Morocco's Acting Minister of General Affairs and Governance
- Dr. Ghattas Khoury, Lebanon’s Minister of Culture
- Mr. Khaled Al-Mahdi, Kuwaiti Secretary General of the Supreme Council for Planning & Development
- Mr. Talal bin Sulaiman Alrahbi, Omani Deputy Secretary General of The Supreme Council for Planning
For more information: ESCWA 30th Ministerial Session
The ESCWA Communication and Information Unit (ECIU) kindly requests media representatives wishing to cover this meeting to register here if they have not already done so.
For more information:
Nabil Abu-Dargham (head of ECIU) +961-70-99 31 44; email@example.com
Ms Rania Harb: +961-70-008-879; firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms Mirna Mahfouz: +961-70-827372; email@example.com
Mr Haidar Fahs: +961-70-079021; firstname.lastname@example.org