ESCWA Digital Arabic Content Award for Sustainable Development
The United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA) launched the Digital Arabic Content (DAC) award for sustainable development in 2021 as part of the Arab Forum for Sustainable Development (AFSD). ESCWA organized this award in partnership with the World Summit Awards (WSA), an international platform with more than 15 years of experience in organizing digital content awards.
The award recognizes the best digital Arabic content products that focus on sustainable development. Through this award, ESCWA is contributing to bridging the digital content gap and supporting the development of the information and knowledge society in the region.
The ESCWA DAC award is an annual process that is open to institutions and young entrepreneurs who create quality digital content that contributes to sustainable development.
- Institutions category: represents existing DAC products that support the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and that have been developed by the public or private sectors, academics, non-governmental organizations, civil society organizations or any other relevant stakeholders.
- Young entrepreneurs category: dedicated to start-up founders, teams of young people and individuals younger than 35 years old. Participation in this category is open to entrepreneurs, companies, student groups and project teams where at least one of the founders and the majority of the team are under the age of 35 and from any Arab country.
The rules and conditions of the award have been set by a steering committee and are revised annually. To ensure the quality and integrity of the award, four committees collaborate on the process:
- Steering Committee: supervises the award process, selects themes and categories, and sets the evaluation criteria.
- Coordination Committee: prepares the materials and platforms for the award process and cooperates with other committees, partners and the community.
- Judging Committee: evaluates the submissions for each category.
- Media Committee: promotes the award throughout the cycle, from the call for submissions to the announcement of the winners.