ESCWA Publication: E/ESCWA/SDPD/2017/1
Publication Type: Reports & studies
Cluster: Climate Change and Natural Resource Sustainability
SDGs: Goal 2: Zero Hunger
Keywords: Agriculture, Arab countries, Food, Food policy, Food security, Food trade, Land, Productivity, Sustainable development
Arab Horizon 2030: Prospects for Enhancing Food Security in the Arab Region
This publication aims to inform the debate on the status of food security in Arab countries, and provide policy options for enhancing food security in the future, in line with the overarching directions of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Given the heterogeneity of the Arab region, both in terms of natural endowment, particularly in water resources, and economic capabilities, the report’s analysis divides the region into four subregions, each consisting of a more homogeneous group of countries.
This report provides a broad overview of food security in the Arab region, including the availability, access and utilization of food. Elements of stability come into play in discussing all three of these dimensions. The report also includes in-depth analysis of selected thematic issues, namely agriculture, international food trade, and food loss and waste. Using the Aglink-Cosimo model, a section is devoted to discussing likely future projections, if the region continues on its present course, and the potential impacts of actions to increase crop yields, shift to healthier consumption patterns, or establish and maintain strategic food stocks. On the basis of the report’s analysis, a set of key findings, as well as general and specific policy recommendations, are highlighted in the final section.
- Agriculture and natural resources
- Prospects for improving food availability through combating desertification and restoring degraded lands and soils in the Arab countries
- Enhancing food security in the Arab region through selected trade-related policies
- Prospects for improving food availability through food loss and waste reduction
- Prospects for improving food availability through increased agricultural production and productivity
- Status of food security in the Arab region along the four food security dimensions
- Prospects for improving food security through the targeted application of science, technology and innovation