The Social Justice Team / Gender Justice, Population and Inclusive Development Cluster at the Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), in cooperation with the Ministry of Social Solidarity in the Arab Republic of Egypt, is organizing a virtual national workshop on measuring social and economic inequalities for developing more equality-oriented policies. The workshop is planned to take place on Tuesday and Wednesday, October 12 and 13, 2021.
This workshop is the second phase of the technical support on social justice provided to the Arab Republic of Egypt to enhance the capacities of officials and experts in the Ministry of Social Solidarity who work on the development and implementation of social programs and policies.
The work program covers:
• Training on the development of social protection policies using participatory approaches (implemented in August 2019)
• Building the ministry’s capacities to analyze and measure social and economic inequality and to develop equality oriented policies.
The workshop aims to:
- Introduce the conceptual framework of inequality: the principles, dimensions, causes, and tools to measure inequality
- Promote a common understanding of the concept of equality / inequality and to enhance the participants’ skills to analyze and measure social and economic inequality in the context of the 2030 Agenda.
- Develop a vision for the development and implementation of multidisciplinary public policies that support the principle of equality
- Provide knowledge and technical skills on the tools and mechanisms to integrate equality into development planning, policy design and implementation
- Within the South – South Cooperation framework, exchange experience and expertise on developing and implementing equality oriented social policies and programs in Latin America.