The Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA) is organizing, in cooperation with the EU Renewable Energy & Energy Efficiency Technical Assistance (EU REEEII-TA), and in collaboration with the Jordanian Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (MEMR), a meeting of the national UN Development Account )UNDA( project Taskforce to discuss the final results of the comprehensive baseline mapping study for the energy situation of the building sector in Jordan. The meeting will also discuss a methodology for periodic surveys of energy consumption patterns in the buildings' sector, based on a series of periodic surveys that the Tunisian Electricity and Gas Company (STEG) has been conducting since 1989.
This national meeting is part of the activities scheduled in the UNDA project on “Up-scaling Energy Efficiency in the residential and services sectors in the Arab Region”. The objective of this project is to substantially enhance the capacity of ESCWA Member States in improving and optimizing energy efficiency in the building sector and up-scaling energy efficiency programs in the existing residential and non-residential building stock.
The topics covered by the comprehensive baseline mapping study for the energy situation of the building sector in Jordan report include:
- Identification of key stakeholders in the residential and services sectors
- A preliminary assessment of the residential and services sectors share of the overall national energy consumption
- Socio-economic and energy characterization of the existing building stock, by branch of activities.
- Assessment of existing EE programmes, knowhow and capacities in the country, as well as potential local financing tools.
- Identification of possible institutional options to ensure the implementation of the project within each member country, including the development of Super ESCO structures
The outputs of this mapping exercise shall constitute the basis for the remaining UNDA project activities and will help in defining the main axis and players for conducting the energy efficiency actions in the building sector.